Forgiving Your Ex Is for You, Not ThemAugust 14, 2016
5 Ways to Get Back On Your Feet Financially After Your BreakupAugust 28, 2016
Aside from January, most popular time for filing the divorce is at the end of the school year. Now that it’s time for back to school, there are things that you, as a parent who’s in the middle of a divorce, have to grapple with:
- You’re trying to handle the new visitation schedule, because it’s typically different than the schedule you had during the summer.
- The new daytime and bed time schedule for the kids now that they’re back in school.
- You’re trying to manage all of that and deal with all the things that you have to do to get through your divorce case.
So here are three things you can start today to help you survive back-to-school time when you’re in the middle of a divorce.
- Make sure that you understand what the visitation schedule says. Sometimes parents draw up a written agreement on their own (usually through their attorneys) about visitation and sometimes you may have temporary orders from the court that set visitation in place for you. But when holidays or school days off come up, that can cause confusion. When either or both of you get mad and upset, it always cost you more money and heart ache.
- Pace yourself, this is a major life change. I know this may sound really basic, but when we’re going through major transitional change, we sometimes forget the basics. So if your husband has moved out, you don’t have to put pressure on yourself to reorganize your home in one day. There may be things that you have to do you keep your divorce case moving, pace yourself and calendar when you’re going to take care of those things.
- Be organized. You’re establishing your new normal, so it really helps to have structure and order when you are in the process of doing that. Keep an online calendar with alerts to help you remember things. Make good use of the online parenting tools to help you keep up with what’s going on with your kids and and that you let your ex know about it.
Click here to get your FREE video on The 3 Most Common Mistakes Women Make Right After Divorce.
For more detailed information about these survival tips, check out my “Lunch with Laura” video I released today on Facebook at: 3 Things to Survive Back to School When You’re In the Middle of A Divorce.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice. It is not a substitute for legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer in your area.